The Online Bible contains a number of dictionaries. In this article we assume you have installed more than one.
There are two ways to access the dictionary: you can look up a word in a Bible translation of a commentary, or you can open the dictionary and find a word in the index.
In Windows this works a bit differently to the apps, therefore we have split the explanations.
A. Linking from a Bible translation or commentary:
- When you hover with the mouse over a word a hand appears (on those words in dictionaries). After a few seconds a pop-up screen shows the list of dictionaries in which this word appears. You can choose one, and an extra pop-up shows the content.
- If you do not get the pop-up screen, you have probably not selected the option "Floating Window Dictionary Word Lookup" (under View in the menu).
- In de Favourites, in the tab Dictionaries, make sure SysDct is set as default. This builds an index of all installed dictionaries. Otherwise you only see one dictionary.
- You can also open a dictionary by double-clicking on a word. You will then get the results in an extra screen, rather than in a pop-up screen.
B. Opening a dictionary directly:
- In the menu choose File / Open / Dictionary and select the required dictionary. You now get a screen where in the bottom half you can select a dictionary from those you have marked as Favourites, and in the top enter a key word.
- You can also go through the Library function on the left and choose the appropriate title in the hierarchy.
If it does not work... :
Every now and then the index of the dictionaries can become corrupt. In that case no dictionary will open. Check you have marked SysDct as standard before assuming the file is corrupt.
When you install the Online Bible, the program builds an index from all installed dictionaries. That index is stored in the folder "My documents/Bible/SysDct00". Check the file t00000 (open in Notepad or a text editor). If the file is missing or empty, the index is corrupt. In that case you can create it again by opening the Online Bible, and in the menu choosing Tools ==> Reset program. This will close the Online Bible. When you open it again you will get some of the screens you get during installation. Once complete, the index has been rebuilt.
In de apps
The Online Bible apps also contain dictionaries, and also here there are two possibilities to open dictionaries, as a link from a Bible of other title and directly opening it and using the index.
Dictionaries are opened in:
- Android and iOS: the second screen (slide the green bar with the three black lines at the bottom of the screen up to open this second screen).
- Mac: a new screen
When you click on a word in a Bible of other title, you get a pop-up window showing the dictionaries you have installed which contain that word. Select one, and it opens in the other screen.
You can also open a dictionary directly. In the second screen on the left you can choose a title. Select a dictionary. It will open. On the right is a book icon. This brings you to the index to find a word.