When you have the Online Bible on your desktop it is possible to import some of the modules (specifically Bible translations and commentaries) from the desktop to tablet or smartphone. The available options vary depending whether you have a DVD which required material to be unlocked (with unlock codes). This article assumes that is the case. If it is not the case, so the material on the DVD is unlocked, there is an easier alternative, athough with solution described below will also work. Please raise a ticket (top right of this screen) for the easier solution.
Before being able to start, please see the prerequisites:
- Due to the restrictions of importing data on Apple equipment this solution does not work on iPad and iPhone devices.
- To be able to export modules from the desktop you must have version 4.34 (or higher) of the Online Bible on the desktop.
- You will need to purchase the option "Load modules from the PC version" (= Advanced Features). In some countries you can have an annual subscription to the Online Bible. In that case this additional module need not be purchased separately.
- This solution does not work for all books. It only works for complied modules (so you cannot copy your own Notes). It works for Bibles, Lexicons, and Dictionaries. It also works for most modules of type Book, but not e.g. for the Atlas and Library modules.
Basically there are three steps to follow:
- Prepare the export files on the desktop
- Physically export the files
- Import the files on tablet or smartphone
1. Preparing the export files
Start the Online Bible on the desktop, and select from the menu: Tools \ Prepare modules for mobile and Tablet Device.
You now get a popup screen to select the required modules.
When all items have been created you will return to the normal screen.
- On the tab "Bibles" select which modules you want to export
- Go through the subsequent tabs and select the relevant modules
- Note the destination location where the files will be stored
- When you have selected everything click on "Prepare"
Please note you can always repeat this procedure, installing new titles, so you do not have to export everything in one go. But you must finish steps 1 to 3 for a set before starting again for more titles.
Using the Windows File Explorer go to the location specified and view how the files are stored.
2. Physically exporting the files
The modules are stored as folders in Windows. The entire folder must be copied, and not just individual files within the folder.
As the configuration of Android devices is different for each manufacturer the medium to use for the transfer can differ. It could be an SD card, a cable, a USB stick, via Google Drive or other ways.
But in this step you should export the folders you wish to import in the Android app.
3. Importing files on tablet or smartphone
Check that you have the option "Load modules from PC version" active. To do this, start the Online Bible app, go to Info & Settings, and then go to the Store. Choose the menu button again, and then you will see "Load modules from the PC version'. If you do not have it (and do not have a subscription) you will be required to purchase it. You can now exit the app.
To place the files in the correct folder you will require some type of file management system on the tablet. In this example the app "File Manager" is used.
The feature to load modules from the PC version creates a folder in the internal memory "OnlineBible". You should not do this yourself. The folder must be found. It is also not possible to use a different location. The app now also support storing files on an SD card. If you have an SD card, the location will be created there.
The folders you copied in step 2 must now be placed within the OnlineBible Folder. Please ensure you copy entire folders for modules and not individual files.
As an example of the result of copying the ESV: on the desktop, after step 1, you should have a file on the desktop ...\Online Bible\Mobile\ESV\Text.Dat.
On your tablet or smartphone, after step 3, you should have a file on the device: \OnlineBible\ESV\Text.Dat.
Copying is now complete. If you start the Online Bible app, these modules should show up and are available to select.
By going to the settings in the app, and again selecting the option "Get free or paid content" and clicking on "Load modules from the PC version", you will see which modules were loaded successfully.
If you have any questions, or run into problems, please raise a support ticket, and we will try to help.